- This event has passed.
September Writers Workshop: “Get Schooled on Short Stories” by Greg Ferguson
21st September 2019 @ 1:00pm - 3:30pm$10 – $50
Let’s begin a 1,200 word short story.
Initially, writers will endeavour to write a sophisticated opening paragraph with a range of writing devices. The target audience will be imaginary HSC markers!
Preceding the above will be a familiarisation of the marking criteria and potential writing techniques. The latter will be demonstrated via the exploration of three texts that also illustrate the significance and role of setting.
Greg Ferguson is a former high school teacher who taught English, history and drama for 38 years. He became a regular HSC and School Certificate marker and spent six years specialising in the marking of creative writing. Recently, he has edited his sister’s 90,000 word novel.
Now retired, Greg currently has time to read books that he’s not teaching or marking. During daylight hours, he’s a full time surfer and gardener!
Follows an informal lunch in the Rockpool Café and a free morning writing session
|[WFSC] Poster for “Get Schooled on Short Stories” Workshop – September 2019|
- “This workshop was a good reminder about technique and structure. I had no expectations but it allowed me to start on some that had been brewing for a while.”
- “Excellent session with Greg. In his calm, measured way he explains clearly various ways in which techniques can be employed to improve our writing.”
- “Enjoyed the process of thinking about how to write using words to hold the attention of the reader.”
- “There were some very apt examples and exercises, especially when dissecting the poem ‘Wind’ by Ted Hughes on such a windy afternoon. I even learnt a new term — enjambement or enjambment — splitting a sentence across stanzas. Greg’s enthusiasm for the written word and the devices used by authors was emphatic when he read aloud. And although there were times where I felt I was back in high school, they were easily dismissed.”
- “Fascinating. The ideas are living and will grow in me over the next days and weeks. The power of words has been born again in me.”
- “This would have been of more interest to someone doing HSC English but I found the list of useful techniques useful and the exercise challenging.”