- This event has passed.
June 2018 Workshop: Irma Gold – Picture Books for Children
16th June 2018 @ 1:00pm - 3:30pm
Join Irma Gold to explore the world of children’s picture books. In this workshop, Irma will share her experiences of publication as both an author and an editor working in children’s publishing. Participants will learn how to create work that young readers will love, and then explore and develop new ideas through exercises. Irma will also offer tips on how to hone a manuscript to perfection before submitting to a publisher.
Saturday Afternoon 16th June, 1pm – 3:30pm @ Club Sapphire, Merimbula
WFSC member $20, Non-member $30
(follows a FREE morning writing clinic 10am – 12pm)
Irma Gold is an author and editor of works for both children and adults. Her critically acclaimed debut collection of short fiction, Two Steps Forward (Affirm Press), was shortlisted for or won a number of awards. Her short stories have also been widely published in Australian journals, including Meanjin, Island, Westerly, Review of Australian Fiction and Going Down Swinging, and in anthologies, including the tenth anniversary edition of Award Winning Australian Stories 2017, and Australian Love Stories edited by Cate Kennedy. Irma’s work-in-progress debut novel won the NSW Writers’ Centre Varuna Fellowship Award, and was awarded research grants through artsACT and CAPO. Irma is also the author of three picture books for children, most recently Megumi and the Bear, with a fourth, Seree’s Story, forthcoming with Walker Books. Irma is Ambassador for the ACT Chief Minister’s Reading Challenge, and in 2014, Irma received a special one-off award for Outstanding Service to Writing and Publishing in the ACT and Region. Irma is currently Editor at Melbourne publisher Inkerman & Blunt and Convener of Editing at the University of Canberra. She lives in Canberra in a house looking to the hills with a lovely husband, three book-mad children and a little black cat.
- “A terrific presentation. I found it provided heaps of insight and lots of practical info about the components of getting to a draft manuscript. Well done, Amanda, in bringing this to us.” -Steve
- “What a great workshop Irma shared from her wealth of experience, and having the chance to ask questions was particularly valuable.” -Anna
- “Very interesting presentation. I enjoyed the topics covered. Very honest and up-front.” -Diana
- “Irma Gold… picture books… amazing… answered all my questions, excellent resources and examples.” -Jessica
- “Well presented. Good pace and variation of focus and good visuals. Pitched at a level that was apt and answered some important questions. Glad I came.” -Kate
- “A wonderfully informative session. So much great information to inspire new writers. Thank you.” -Natalie
- “An excellent session with Irma Gold. Very informative, good activities.” -Peter
- “Informative, inspiring, professional, stimulating… an excellent workshop. Thank you.” -Mary-Ellen
- “A very informative, engaging presentation with great writing exercises that fostered creativity and gave practical advice.” -Anne
- “An informative address honestly presented and entertaining. Advice to take heed of. Read widely and write.” -David
- “First class. Irma Gold knows her topic from every angle. What a privilege to spend a few hours with her. I feel more confident than ever about writing some kind of children’s book. Thank you Amanda for organising this workshop.” -Christine